Team Leader - EU-supported Fund for Agricultural and Rural Market Development (FARM)
Field of activity
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a state owned organisation. We work worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ International Services (InS) is an integral division of GIZ. We offer the experience, the regional and technical know-how of GIZ in the global market and provide international clients with expertise in terms of economic and result-oriented services.
For the ongoing EU-funded project for Agricultural and Rural Market Development (FARM) in Afghanistan, GIZ International Services is searching for a Team Leader.
The overall objective is to create prosperous, stable and resilient rural communities by promoting sustainable economic growth and employment in rural areas.
In the framework of the overall purposes of the EU project "Support to Agriculture and Rural Development in Afghanistan" which are 1) improve sustainable licit agricultural production in both quantitative and qualitative terms, and 2) promote higher value-added agricultural products while incentivizing on and off-farm enterprises, and their linkages with relevant markets; the purpose of this contract is to support the main national partners MAIL and MRRD by providing technical assistance to the implementation of Components 1 and 3 in close collaboration with Component 2 which is implemented via the National Horticulture and Livestock Project NHLP.
The Team leader (m/f) will be responsible of the overall planning and management of programme implementation, and therefore requires a background in the promotion of rural economic development, experience in working with government institutions at national and sub-national levels, the coordination of support activities to farmers incl. their backward (input and service suppliers) and forward linkages (processing, exporting) (value chain promotion expert). Comprehensive experience in Afghanistan and Least Developed Countries is vital to adapt existing promotion approaches to the relevant context. The Team Leader (m/f) has minimum ten years working experience in development cooperation in countries with conflict background, preferably with previous working experience in Afghanistan.
Qualifications and skills
- Preferably a Master's Degree and minimum a University degree in agriculture, agriculture economics or a discipline related to the purpose of the project or Bachelor's Degree and 10 years of professional experience relevant to the project;
- Fluent in English (written and spoken).
General professional experience
- At least 10 years professional experience in economic development and/or SME development and/or trade development, ideally in the context of agriculture and rural development;
- Comprehensive experience in advice to and cooperation with governments and private sector;
- Working experience in least developed countries and/or fragile states (conflict or post-conflict countries);
- Afghanistan experience and/or regional experience (Central Asia or South Asia, Middle East) would be an asset.
Specific professional experience
At least 5 years of experience in the following
- Management and implementation of trade development / SME development / economic development projects, ideally related to agriculture or rural development;
- Comprehensive experience in the governance sector;
- Working with private sector stakeholders;
- Diplomatic and facilitation skills , strong conceptual skills;
- Development and implementation of capacity development measures;
- Cooperation and communication skills.
The intended start date is 1st July 2017 until December 2019.
For more information, see the GIZ job offers